Tuesday, August 12, 2008

First Day

This was taken a week ago on Gracie's first day back in the three-year-old class at preschool.Lexi, today on her first day of Kindergarten-nice pose.The girls today.This picture is for Lexi's friend Hillary Hines who really, really wanted to see her backpack.

Well, as suspected Lexi's first day of kindergarten was hardest on.....Gracie. Last night at open house you would have thought that Gracie was coming to kindergarten as well. She was so funny telling people how Miss Hanks (Lexi's teacher) was the best and she (Gracie) was coming to school here too, and she wasn't going back to preschool (uh, yea you are!) Obviously, Lexi was also excited as well, she just tends to hold her emotions in a little more. So today, before we left the house I told them to say bye to each other because Lexi was not getting out of the car when I dropped Gracie off at preschool. (I thought it would take that much longer for us to leave and I wanted a quick exit.) So they hugged and kissed and hugged again, and then Gracie started with the, "I want my sister!" I just changed the subject and scooted them out the door. Once in the car I told Grace how she had already been to preschool without Lexi on days that Lexi was sick and she was so big she didn't need anyone--this seemed to help. Once at preschool I had changed the subject to her new tennis shoes that she was wearing and how she needed to show her teachers how fast she could run, crisis diverted. Lexi was fine the whole time, well, except in the car when she started reminding Gracie how she was going to be by herself at preschool, I cut off the conversation immediately. Once it was time for me to walk Lexi to her room, game on. She started singing, "It's my first day of kindergarten, kindergarten, kindergarten. I love kindergarten. It's my first day." She sang that the whole five minute walk to her room. When people would ask her why she was singing and smiling she would say, "Because I am so excited!!" I dropped her off, took some pictures, and headed to help other kids off the bus completely tearless. (I know you're impressed but since she is on the same campus as me it's a little different then just sending her on the bus and letting her go.)

Lexi has a little girl in her class that was diagnosed with a noncancerous brain tumor. It is on her optic nerve so she can not see very well at all (nothing to do with her eyes). Well, since I am in charge of 504 plans in our district (accommodations needed for medical reasons) I told Lexi all about her yesterday, so today Lexi was a good friend and helper. It also was a good excuse to go and check on Miss Hanks' class during lunch, of course they (Lexi and the other little girl) were having awesome days, just as I was expecting. After school we went and picked up Grace and she too had a great day. It was so stinkin cute to listen to Gracie ask Lexi how kindergarten was. I LOVE listening to backseat conversations! So long story short, kids=wonderful first day, me/Jon=first day from hell! (I will not even get into it, just know computers are your friend and worst enemy, glad it's over.) Just now before bed when Lexi was saying her prayer she included, "....and please help us not to pull any cards." She is officially a schoolager!

Very quick Grace prayer from dinner tonight: The girls always take turns saying the prayer first, well, Lexi said it first last night and she was disappointed when I reminded her of this tonight. So Gracie goes to pray and here is exactly what she said, "Dear God, Thank you for this day. thank you for all of my family. Thank you that Lexi is not saying the prayer, um, well, I mean she is. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen. Nothing like rubbing it in that you get to go first during a prayer.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Oh Oh I get to talk first! LOVED the pictures. Got a little teary thinking of Megan at Kindergarten (uh FOUR years ago)! Tell Lexi Megan is in 4th grade and they still have cards to pull! :) My kids go tomorrow. I have a SEVENTH grader!!! AND just so you don't think you are too special I am checking blogs to avoid looking at all my unfinished stuff because it is making me have an ulcer as well as a headache!!! :)
Love you, Amy

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you with the no tears. Thank you so much for the picture of the backpack. I told Shane that Hillary called Lexi and she says "yeah and I told her to send me a picture of her back pack but she didn't" Dang girl relax. On another note...Has Lexi told you about the food save bags. Apparently you can have strawberries for like a month. (who knew?, maybe if I had the Buxton organizer I could have reminded myself to order the food save bags)

Fonda said...

So glad it went well. Kindergarten is so fun!

Alissa said...

Glad the day went well for the girls. I hope your day was better today.

Rachel said...

Love the prayer!

Madison said yesterday before school that she was not going to pull any tickets or get any warnings this year in 1st grade. Glad the girls had a good first day of school and praying there are better days ahead for you and Jon.

HTE said...

So sweet. I can't believe she's in Kindergarten. To answer your 5 year thing--5 years ago I had just returned from an extended music trip to Italy and got to meet my niece Lexi for the first time!

We've got 2 more years which I'm torn about liking and not liking. I think she'll be way ready next year but also will cherish the extra year with her before school! Gotta love the Sept. 29th birthday.

HTE said...

Ella had to put in her two cents after I showed her the pictures:

About the backpack shot: Wow, those are pretty fancy.

About Lexi sitting at the classroom table: I wonder what she's learning?

Becky said...

OH I LOVE your stories about your kids! hahahahaha! So glad school is going good for both and hope it gets better soon for you and Big Jon!!!! :)

Andrea said...

Ang,
I just heard about Jeff. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers!
Love,
Andrea