Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Guilt

Does anyone else with kids feel guilty throwing away papers they do at school? I mean seriously, does anyone keep all of them. I try to keep some, but then even the few I keep turns into a lot and I end up throwing away some of those. Then there is the actual act of throwing papers away. You know you can't just put them in the trash, no, you have to push all of the papers down to the very bottom so your child doesn't find them. Then there is the one time you weren't thinking and left them on the top of the trash and your child goes to throw something away and you get the question, "How did my paper get in the trash?!?!?" And of course you would never let her know you put it there, so you play dumb, "I have no idea how that got there, I am sure it was an accident, that is a fabulous paper." Oh the lies, oh the shame, oh the mounds of papers. Is there some protocol I am unaware of?

6 comments:

Amy said...

Andy and Megan both have an under the bed box that is full of "special/high quality" work. Now that they are older, they get to help choose what we save and what gets thrown away. I know what you mean about the trash can though, MANY times Megan found items in the garbage and I had to play the clueless mom. Hope this helps.

Deborah said...

Empty cereal boxes hide papers perfectly. Oh, and there's always the garage trash-can. I probably should be recycling...but then we get into MY guilt, and this is not my blog.

Stephanie said...

I completely understand. I know those things produce clutter but I don't have the heart to throw away anything she does in school. I'm glad we have a 800 square foot attic but we're planning to convert it into a bonus/4th bedroom some day. We'll have to figure out what to do with it!

Melanie said...

With school everyday and bible class twice a week times three kids, it definitely adds up. It's sad that the other day Carter just took his own to the trash and told us he doesn't understand why he just brings home so many papers. We did special papers on the fridge for a while but would catch Braden throwing them away to put his up there. Now we ooh and ahh and then send some to grandmas and grandpas and then toss the rest. A good place to toss is at the gas station trash can while pumping gas. I keep all the papers in the passenger seat and then toss while pumping.

HTE said...

We've had the same problem with the trash. Not just papers she does, but birthday party invitations, old postcards, etc. I learned at a MOPS seminar once to go through the papers frequently and keep only a sacred few, send the rest to relatives, etc. and toss the others NOW. If you keep it for years, you'll never want to throw it away. However tossing something they just drew last week--no big deal!

We send a lot of papers to my parents!

Jeanne Bloomfield said...

Ok, I have the crazy kids that want everything kept as well, and let me tell you, the outside dumpster is my BEST FRIEND. Bailey has found her papers it there and went crazy. MUST BE CAREFUL!!! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT !!!!