Monday, May 12, 2008

Always makes me laugh.

With a 3-year-old and a 4-year-old I think I have visited EVERY single public restroom in my, and the surrounding, county. In this day in age most bathrooms have automatic everything: auto flusher, auto water, auto soap, and auto hand dryer. (The McDonald's right by my house has a hole in the wall that you stick your hands in and water turns on, a measured amount of soap shoots out, and after a minute the water turns off and the dryer turns on all from the same little hole.) To my kids this isn't "new technology" it's just the norm, all they know. Occasionally we will enter a restroom that is not so up-to-date, and I just watch to see what happens. It never happens with the toilets because, like most kids, they love flushing public toilets (especially with their foot like I taught them), and it doesn't happen with the sinks because it is pretty obvious when a sink isn't automatic, it happens with the soap and hand dryer. They first just put their little hands under the soap dispenser and when nothing happens the waving starts, not just waving under it, but beside it and around it, until I hear, "It's broken, this one is broken." That's when I step in and magically fix it by pushing the button and soap falls into their hand. It really makes me laugh when it's an old hand dryer (the ones that were normal when I was growing up) and it has a big silver button just screaming "push me" and yet still I wait till I am informed that is broken before I step in and save the day.

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day, I did. We have a busy week ahead of us: yard work, gymnastics, dinner with football candidate and wife, Lexi's preschool graduation, and gymnastics program. Jon has all that plus: NHS induction, the HS play, and Senior scholarship/awards. Then next week is the last week of school--YA!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's kind of funny you say that because Hayley is scared to death of toilets that automatically flush - it freaks her out! She'd rather sit on the old-fashioned ones!

Anonymous said...

Steph, my kids don't mind the auto flushing at all, of course they still push the button after it has already flushed itself. Once there was crying, but that was because it flushed before she had time to go and she was mad it didn't wait for her.

Ang