Friday, April 17, 2009
Serious Parenting Question
Lexi is really into picking her own clothes. The problem is she thinks she looks FABULOUS and in reality she looks ridiculous! For instance today she is wearing a short white skirt and a ratty white t-shirt and black knee high boots-she looks so crazy and yet I saw her look at herself in the mirror and say, "I look good." I did tell her I didn't think it look very good, but she insisted that it did. I made her put shorts on under her skirt, but let the rest go. Here's my question do I continue to let her pick out her own clothes and look ridiculous until she hopefully figures it out, or do I show her now what looks good and make her change? Please tell me what has worked for you...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Angie,
I really have no clue what to do (obviously), so make sure you remember everything so you can help us someday ( a long time from now!) :)
1) don't make a big deal of it
2) pick & choose your battles
3) remember each kid is different & it's ok if they don't think like you
4) If you don't want her to wear it in public make a stacks of play and school clothes
5) If you really hate it make her change, because you say so
Love mom
Let her be herself and choose her own. She'll figure it out.
I used to give Amber choices. It's all about being the one to make the decision.
DiAnn
Can't wait to see what "outfits" she pulls together for camp. Don't worry I will have my camera ready! Nancy
It must be their age because Alexis is doing the exact same thing. She loves to wear her black boots with anything. My solution for now is to slowly weed out some of her crazy outfits. My least favorites never get washed. -- Johnna
I am so lucky in that Kalista still wants me to pick out her clothes everyday. Somedays I even ask her to go pick out something and she won't. On the rare occasion that she does pick something out and it is crazy looking I give her a choice. It usually involves me telling her the outfit doesn't match and she can either choose the pants or the shirt, but something has to go. This is of course only if we are going somewhere. If we are staying home, I let her do whatever.
My friend Patty, who has three older girls says to offer her choices, maybe saying she could wear that outfit on a day when you are staying home.
I am all for hanging in there! She will come into her own style...even if its not one you love! I only say this because I have a fashionista myself who seems to think that the more colors you can get into an outfit the better. (only topped by polka dots which make even color look better!)
Post a Comment