It all began 10 or 11 years ago at my favorite place on earth, Ne-o-tez. I was, as I often did, counseling during the 11-12 year-old girls' week. From that week two things stick out in my mind, LICE (not me one of my campers) and Laura. Laura was one of my campers in my cabin that year. She was a cute, little, shy girl whom I had to console for days after the lice episode (she didn't have the lice either, but she was scared out of her mind). After that summer I don't remember seeing Laura again until the next summer when she was at low-teen. (Sidenote: I didn't work that week I came down to visit to surprise the director, my "friend", Jon. When I left that evening we had our first kiss.) I remember that visit seeing the little, shy girl and me giving her a hard time for being scared to say hi to me. Over the next few years Laura and I saw each other many more times at camp. She came out of her shy self, and we became good friends. We have been counselors together at camp, activities directors at camp and just have had fun hanging out with each other neglecting our duties at camp (it's not always about the kids, right?). There was also a time when she organized a bunch of her hs friends to come to our house weekly for a Tuesday night devo. Over the years I have watched her grow up. I have watched her be too scared to call my house for fear of Jon answering the phone, to now applying for jobs in big cities to be out on her own. She is truly an amazing woman, and I love her and value our friendship very much!!
Last weekend Laura came to visit. My girls love it when Laura comes!!
We all played their new game from David and Heather, Hullabaloo (it's a cross between an undated cake walk and twister, very fun).
I wasn't suppose to post this picture, but it's my blog and I can take her, I'm not scared.
She's so pretty!! :-)
Here we are at camp 2006, ready for the cowboy banquet.
This is one of my favorites. It was taken at camp 2007 by Lexi.
Good times. Thanks for coming and thanks for making me set up a facebook account!!
3 comments:
Isn't it great when a friendship lasts and lasts? I'm glad you guys have this special relationship. Sweet blog.
You are the best ever!!! I was having the worst day until I came home to a post all about me!!! I am so glad we are such good friends and I got over being shy (i mean I still dont like it when jon answers the phone!... jk jk!!) I love coming to visit and watching your girls grow up! ps. you are sooo lucky that picture of the morning is far away! :)
I love that Laura girl, too
Post a Comment