Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Banquet Fun

Before I get started on the Friday night activities, I must tell you a quick story about the Thursday night park. Every year we grill burgers at the Washington State park a few miles from camp. As a cook I am to help with the loading and transporting of ALL the necessary items for a full meal for 100 people. This year, like every other year, we loaded our truck full and took off. Once we got to the park there were 6 or 7 workers having a smoke break in the pavilion, I, like always, drove past the parking lot onto the grass to unload the truck. Out of the corner of my eye I see one worker making a bee line for my truck. Once I put the truck in park he knocked on my window and told me I was NOT allowed to park there and I WOULD get a ticket for driving on the grass. I informed him that I WAS going to unload my truck and then I would move it. (in reality I was NOT going to move it that way the campers could get their soda out of the heavy cooler that we were NOT going to take off the truck, again like always.) So we unloaded and they all went to the next pavilion for another smoke break. As soon as we started setting things up I saw a nice little white truck headed straight for us with a purpose. As I see him I get into my truck and move it to the parking lot. (Just like I had planned, I didn't want to break the law, that wouldn't be Christian-like.) As I am getting out of my truck the Ranger comes to me and informs me that I couldn't drive on the grass no matter HOW many people we were cooking for. Fortunately (for him) he was very nice about it and didn't give me a ticket, because I was ready to give him the what-for if I heard the slightest hint of rudeness. Oh BTW when we got back to camp that night I had a major flat tire on the truck, I am sure it had nothing to so with driving on the grass, Jon was not thrilled, to say the least.

The banquet theme this year was "Hooray for Hollywood," movie characters not red carpet. As a family we discussed many things we should dress up as...our best idea was Jon as SHREK, me as Fiona, Lexi as Puss, and Grace as Donkey (never stops talking), but who wants to be green at camp when the weather might be 1000 degrees and the other costumes I didn't have the first clue how to start. The girls really wanted to do Scooby Doo, and since we found things in their closets that worked, that's what we went with. Of course that still left Jon and I....for a second we thought Jon could be Charlie Brown (ya know bald character), but then what about me, so we dumped that idea. While we were packing we came up with the movie "Twins" ya know with Arnold and Danny. So we went with the "theme" and not so much the characters.

Lexi as Daphne and Grace as Velma

2 Velmas and 2 Daphnes

Chelsi (Audry Hepburn) and me
The family
I didn't realize that our shirts were a little different until I was looking at the pictures. Apparently I am not very observant.
Here is one of the skits the drama club did (notice Mark Wilkins in the middle-too funny) anyways, they asked Jon like two seconds before they started to make a cameo for 5 seconds and be a giant, he was glad to help out. The funny thing is that he was seriously on stage for 5 seconds and when he was done BOTH of the girls were like....Good Job Daddy, You did such a good job, I am so proud of you!!! (Like he was the freakin star.)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Angie,
Thanks for commenting on my blog...So fun to find your blog too!! Your two girls are BEAUTIFUL!! I know you must be a proud momma! Looks like camp was fun.:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Angie!
These pictures are great. I love looking at them all. See I DO read your blog. :) I hope we get to see you all as you drive through to FL!